We’ve all heard the phrase, “Laughter is the best medicine,” and whoever said it is probably right. Several studies have emerged showing laughter as a great way to keep one’s mind and body fully healthy. Here are five potential benefits of enjoying a good chuckle every now and then.
5) BOOSTS IMMUNITY AND HEART HEALTH – Probably one of the biggest reasons to enjoy laughter: letting out a little giggle or guffaw has the capacity to keep one’s immune system functioning properly by decreasing stress hormones and increasing immunity cells, which in turn fight infections and disease. Laughter also gets your heart pumping, and burns as many calories as walking.
4) BUILDS AB MUSCLES –If you want to stay toned, give laughter a chance. When we laugh, the muscles in our stomach expand and contract, similar to what occurs when we do crunches and sit-ups. If you want to get in shape but can’t afford a gym membership, watch your favorite funny movie and laugh your way to better fitness.
3) EASES PAIN – Studies show that laughing releases endorphins, which are natural painkillers that keep us happy for longer periods of time. Maybe hospitals should hire clowns...
2) IMPROVES MEMORY – According to a study conducted at Johns Hopkins University, teachers that integrated humor into their lectures saw students achieve better test scores and retain more information. You could study and improve yourself all day, but if you don’t have time for a laugh here and there, you could forget all you’ve learned.
1) HELPS YOU MAKE FRIENDS – Causing people to laugh gives people a sense of comfort; they feel loose and at home where they are. Laughter makes people feel good and more receptive to others, and can turn even the coldest, most unfamiliar environment into a place of happiness and comradery.