These stuffed peppers are a great veggie entrée or side when you’re grilling! Cheesy and savory, both vegans and omnivores are sure to love them. Clean-up is easy for this one too, since all you’re cooking in is a bit of foil. The peppers are surprisingly filling, so you can serve them on their own or cut in half as a side dish; I like to pair them with rice, cous cous or mashed potatoes. As always, feel free to experiment with different sauces, spices and vegetables to make them your own!
Ingredients & Special Supplies
4 bell peppers
1 cup marinara sauce
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup mozzarella-style vegan cheese (shredded)
- Cut out the stem of the peppers and clean out the insides, just like when you’re carving a pumpkin.
- Sautee the onion, zucchini and mushrooms over medium heat until just softened (about 3 minutes) and then remove from heat.
- Mix in the marinara sauce with the onion, zucchini and mushrooms before spooning the mixture into the peppers. Do not completely fill the peppers, leaving about ½ an inch on top.
- Fill each pepper with cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the peppers in the oven or on the grill to cook.
- If you are using an oven: cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, checking them often. If you are using a grill: cook for about 5 minutes, checking them very frequently.
- Remove from grill or oven and allow to cool before serving.