To be eco-friendly, otherwise known as environment friendly, means to practice not harming the environment. To act in accordance with the natural phenomena of our living planet, rather than to rule or control it. It means having a friendly relationship between humans and nature, while taking care of our surrounding environment. Being eco-friendly is a great goal to have because you are trying to accomplish the least negative impacts on land, water and air. Here are 11 easy ways to be eco-friendlier in your day-to-day life.
- Bring a reusable cup. Whenever you go to get tea or coffee somewhere, bring a reusable cup. Some places will even give you a discount for bringing your own cup, and it will help to reduce the number of paper cups that are being used daily.
- Buy or trade used items. Instead of always purchasing brand new items, try to buy them used first. Buying used items is a great way to save on money, while reusing and recycling.
- Unplug and shut-off electronics. Unplug and shut-off any equipment that you are not using during the day, such as computers, lights, or toaster ovens. This helps a lot to conserve power and energy.
- Buy from local farmer’s markets. Buying locally from farmer’s markets helps cut down on the amount of greenhouse gases and carbon released when transporting food.
- Bring a reusable bag or tote. By bringing you own reusable bag or tote whenever you go shopping, you will help prevent waste and the overuse of disposable shopping bags.
- Use cloth napkins. Using cloth napkins or rags instead of paper napkins stops waste before it happens, and it is way more environmentally safe.
- Wear clothes more than once. Wearing unsoiled clothes two or even three times before you wash them saves on the large amounts of water it takes to do a whole load of laundry.
- Take shorter showers. Water needs to be conserved and a good deal of energy is required to pump water from rivers or lakes into homes. Conserving water by taking shorter showers reduces the amount of energy that is needed to filter water.
- Support eco-friendly businesses. Many places nowadays have businesses that follow and use environmentally friendly practices. By supporting these kinds of businesses, you are supporting the environment.
- Use earth-safe care and cleaning products. Use, purchase, or make personal care products and cleaning solutions that are without synthetic, toxic, or harsh chemicals. By using earth-friendly cleaning and care products, you are keeping yourself and the earth healthy.
- Buy Fair Trade. Shop from companies who include fair trade in their mission or daily practices. For more reasons to buy fair trade, click here.
By being eco-friendly, you are contributing to a healthy environment for all living creatures. Trying to save our planet and living more earth consciously is something everyone should be attempting to do. By performing some or all of the easy, eco-friendly practices mentioned above, you are positively impacting Mother Earth.
“The earth is what we all have in common”. –Wendell Barry